Spicy shrimps made on open fire
Shrimps made on open fire with radiccio, chili and spring onions
- Ope fire
- Dutch oven
- Stainless steel strainer
- 500 gram shrimps (whole)
- 250 ml olive oil
- 5 gram coriander seeds
- 1 red chili pepper
- 5 gram ginger
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1 orange grater
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 1 Radicchio
- 1 lemon
- rapeseed oil
- This delicious dish is inspired by Lennox Hasty and was our first experience with cooking on fire. What amazing!! It is hard work, because the fire is always in control. But what a wonderful result!
- First build a nice fire. The goal is ultimately to get a lot of cinders, so 6 to 8 blocks of wood is great. I find apple wood the best, the standard firewood is often beech or oak and has a fairly dominant taste and therefore less suitable.
- When your fire burns well, you can start cutting. Cut off the heads of the shrimp and set them aside, you will need them for the oil.
- Also cut the radicchio, garlic, ginger and chili small and grate the orange and lemon and squeeze the lemon. Get all this ready for use.
- As soon as you can make a nice bed of glowing cinders, put the Dutch oven on it with 50ml of olive oil. Toast the coriander seeds, chili, ginger and garlic briefly (about 1 minute) until they are fragrant. Add and press the shrimp heads to get extra moisture out. Fry until the moisture has evaporated, then add the remaining olive oil and orange zest and cook slowly for 20 minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat and sieve the oil. Set the oil aside.
- Make a new bed of glowing cinders and put the shrimp in the strainer. Sprinkle with some rapeseed oil and place the sieve in the center of the cinders. Toss the shrimps regularly until the shrimps are nice and pink and done (4 to 5 minutes).
- Season with salt to taste and add the spring onion. Fry this for a while until the spring onion is soft (about a minute). Remove the strainer from the heat and put everything in a clean bowl.
- Return the Dutch oven to the fire with some oil and add the chopped radicchio. Bake until the radicchio is cooked (2 to 3 minutes).
- Pour the chili oil over the prawns with the lemon zest and juice and serve on a large plate, use a nice bowl for the radicchio.